January 31, 2012

How to Make a Custom Launcher (Shortcut) in Ubuntu 11.10 (Oneiric Ocelot) Dock

In my previous blog I wrote about how to create a custom launcher to the Unity dock, but when you upgrade to 11.10 (Oneiric Ocelot) that no longer holds. When you right click on the desktop the menu item Create Launcher... is no longer there.

The simplest way I have yet found is to manually create a desktop file anywhere one the file system, but I would recommend to put it in the same folder as the program you are creating to shortcut to.

Example of my eclipse.desktop:
$[Desktop Entry]
Exec=/home/magnus/bin/eclipse-jee-3.7.1/eclipse
Icon=/home/magnus/bin/eclipse-jee-3.7.1/icon.xpm
Name=Eclipse JEE 3.7.1
StartupNotify=true
Terminal=false
Type=Application
X-KDE-SubstituteUID=false

No comments: